You may think that because North Carolina is a southern state you don’t need to winterize your plumbing. This isn’t the case. If you’re not going to be using the plumbing for an extended period of time, then hiring a professional plumber in Asheville, NC is a smart idea to avoid frozen pipes. When the temperature dips below freezing and the pipes aren’t being used, then you’re liable to have major problems with pipes cracking and bursting.
There are many plumbing services in Asheville, NC that offer winterizing services. But when you’re searching for a company that will go the extra mile for its customers, then you need to check out Autry Plumbing, LLC. Let’s go over how to winterize plumbing and prevent future problems:
- Turn off the water: This first step is vital—you need to shut off the water main, as well as the water pump and water heater. This protects the water heater’s mechanisms, as there will be no water in the tank.
- Drain valves: Open every drain valve, using a checklist for reference to make sure you have every valve covered. If you don’t, a closed valve may create a vacuum that will hold water.
- Air compressors: These are used to blow excess water out of every pipe.
- Drain the hot water tank: Open the hot water tank’s drain valve and let it go until it’s empty. You may need to connect a garden hose if there’s no floor drain available.
- Drain the holding tank: Make sure all the water has left the holding tank, including the water located in the rubber diaphragm that’s used to add pressure. You may also want to add antifreeze as an additional protective measure.
- Toilets: Remove as much water from each toilet and tank as possible. Again, you may want to add antifreeze as a protective measure against freezing and cracking.
- Sinks and tub drains: Ensure these are clear of water. Add a bit of antifreeze to each to protect against cracking and freezing.
While you could do this yourself, it’s helpful to have a professional who will make sure every detail is handled. This way you prevent any potential damage to your property’s plumbing system.
When you’re looking for outstanding customer service and top-notch plumbing repair in Asheville, NC, there’s one name you should trust: Autry Plumbing LLC. We are your local, family owned and operated plumbing company. We’re your leading specialist in installation, maintenance and replacement of all plumbing needs, including water purification systems, residential plumbing, drain cleaning and much more. We’ll ensure that every drain in your home or business is clear and functional.
For more than three decades, Autry Plumbing, LLC has been providing North Carolina with fast, friendly and professional service. We also offer the most competitively priced water purification systems in Buncombe County. So don’t wait until a minor problem becomes a major one—give us a call today to schedule a free consultation with one of our experts!